Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Forgotten TV

The first of these series was back in 1997. Robson Green and Nicola Walker star as two cops on a serial crime unit. The genre was still being invented then, I think. And so many series almost identical to this one would follow. There is very little doubt who the perp is in this first one. Boys are disappearing. And it has happened before in Germany. The tension is in watching them try to find the boys. A lot of its success is based on the passion of the leads for their work. It was creepy and I liked not having the huge cast of suspects that so many of these shows rely on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never saw that one, Patti, although I remember hearing about it.

George said...

Over the years I've lost interest in cop shows. Loved HILL STREET BLUES but drifted away from the genre after that. But we have friends who love all the CSI shows.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Good choice . I'd forgotten that this was Nicola Walker's first starring role . We've seen her many times over the years since - notably in MI-5 (originally SPOOKS in Britain), plus LAST TANGO ON HALIFAX, SCOTT & BAILEY, RIVER, and the just started (here, on PBS) UNFORGOTTEN. Also COLLATERAL, which we haven't seen yet.

Robson Green was young and handsome then. He hasn't aged all that well. The American remake with Jeffrey (BURN NOTICE) Donovan was a dud.

Jeff Meyerson said...

IN HALIFAX, not ON.

pattinase (abbott) said...

COLLATERAL was good. Although I have to say these shows don't stay with me for long. When Phil mentioned it yesterday I have to go look it up and I just saw it a few weels ago.
Do not like formulaic shows like CSI either. Not sure if this becomes that or not as this was the first episodes.

Jeff Meyerson said...

I'd you watch RIVER, you won't forget the central premise.

Yvette said...

I love Robson Green. I think I saw this series when it was originally on. Though I get it confused with another series of his that I liked. WIRE IN THE BLOOD maybe. I also loved him in a series I can't find - something about a reporter who falls in love with the female Prime Minister of England. NOT Margaret Thatcher. :)