Wednesday, April 04, 2018

First Wednesday Book Review Club: THE PERFECT NANNY,

https://nypost.com/2018/03/01/mom-blasts-nanny-accused-of-killing-her-kids-as-such-a-liar/

Oh, yes, things like this do happen.

 Leila Slimani is the first Moroccan woman to win France’s most prestigious literary prize, the Goncourt, which she won for The Perfect Nanny. A journalist and frequent commentator on women’s and human rights, she is French president Emmanuel Macron’s personal representative for the promotion of the French language and culture. Born in Rabat, Morocco, in 1981, she now lives in Paris with her French husband and their two young children.

This is not your typical crime fiction novel written today. It is like a Simenon or perhaps Ruth Rendell. Louise is hired by a Yuppie could with two small children. Her devotion soon seems pathological to the reader, but the couple sees only her outward self.  The reader is in on just how miserable a life she has. This is a slim, scary book. It almost feels hot in your hand. You don't want to pick it up and you don't want to put it down.
For more reviews, including one of I BRING SORROW, please check out Barrie Summy's blog.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep hearing this is a potent read, Patti. I may have to add it to the list.

George said...

Glad you're back, Patti! We're under a HIGH WIND WARNING here!

pattinase (abbott) said...

We, too. And back just briefly.

Jeff Meyerson said...

We had snow on Monday and have three more possible snow days before Spring - supposedly - arrives for real a week or so from now.

I wish we stayed longer in Florida .

Rick Robinson said...

Nice to see you drop back in, even if briefly.

This doesn't sound like one foe me, too depressing, I guess. I got THE LAST CHILD by John Hart from the library recently and was able to get only 32 pages in before quitting. It was grim, gray, depressing. This one sounds the same.

Barrie said...

I'm in the mood for creepy, and this may be right up my alley. I love a bk that's hard to put down. Thank you for reviewing!

Powell River Books said...

Interesting review. I can imagine being a nanny can be very difficult. I was a caregiver for my mother and it was stressful at times. With someone else's children it must be much harder. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

These types of situations are horrible. It's so easy to become a victim. Good review!

Linda McLaughlin said...

Great review, Patti. Sounds like a book that would make a great movie, too.

mrs. s. said...

This has been on my radar and I wasn't sure if it was for me. I've been following the case of the NY nanny since it happened - it was that horrifying story being passed from mum to mum in my town as an almost urban legend or cautionary tale. I might dip a toe in and see how it goes because I've heard good things about the writing! :)

J F Norris said...

Is this anything like A JUDGMENT IN STONE by Ruth Rendell? If so, I'll pass. That news story about the butchering nanny was a real life horror story thar upset for for days afterward. Thanks for reminding me. ;^)

Sarah Laurence said...

Maybe now that my kids are older, I wouldn't be so scared of this book. Yikes! Also congratulations on your new story collection!